The objective of the grant scheme is to assist households dependent on private individual water supplies who are incurring capital expenditure to:
- Provide a piped supply of water for domestic purposes, or
- Remedy serious deficiencies in an existing supply of water for domestic purposes.
The scheme does not apply to houses to which a public or group scheme water supply has already been provided or can reasonably be provided.
Works carried out before a prior inspection by the Local Authority do not qualify under the scheme.
A person is eligible for a grant if he or she is:-
- Providing a piped supply of water to an existing house for the first time; or
- Carrying out improvements to a seriously deficient existing piped supply of water to a house;
where the supply of water concerned is a supply other than a public or group scheme supply. For the purposes of this memorandum, a group water scheme is a scheme providing a private supply of water by means of a common or shared source of supply and distribution system.
A person is not eligible for a grant if, in the opinion of the Local Authority, –
- The house concerned is not occupied by the applicant as his or her normal place of residence (e.g. a holiday home);
- The house concerned is at present connected to a public or group scheme water supply;
- The area in which the house is located is or is about to be served by a public water supply or a group scheme water supply;
- The house concerned is under construction or has been constructed within the previous 7 years;
- A grant has been paid within the previous 7 years for:
– the provision of the house concerned, or
– the provision or improvement of a water supply to that house.
Works qualify under the scheme where they are undertaken to provide or improve a supply of water for domestic purposes in a house and they consist of one or more of the following:
- Drilling or commissioning a new well;
- Rehabilitating an existing well, including deepening/relining an existing bore or the removal of silt;
- Providing or upgrading a supply of water from a surface water source;
- The construction or improvement of a pump house, piping or other facilities in connection with the supply of water;
- The provision or improvement of mechanical or electrical equipment or facilities in connection with the supply of water; or the provision of improvement of facilities or equipment for the treatment of water.
Works do not qualify where, in the opinion of the Local Authority:
- They have an approved cost of less than €634.87;
- The proposed works exceed what would be required to secure an adequate supply of water for domestic purposes;
- They relate to the installation or improvement of plumbing inside a house;
- They relate to the provision or up-grading of a supply of water for non-domestic purposes;
- They are carried out before the Local Authority’s inspection takes place.
Amount of Grant:
6.1 The amount of a grant will be the lesser of either (a) or (b):
(a) 75% of the approved cost, (or, where appropriate, the revised approved cost,
How to Apply?
To see if you qualify, send us a quick email email@example.com or call 06753886 and one of our water treatment experts will be in touch with you to discuss your project.